These blueberry chicken wings are the perfect blend of sweet and savory flavors with the use of sweet and tangy blueberries and hot chipotle. Step up your next backyard barbecue or summertime party with this easy-to-make, but hard-to-keep recipe. Whether you serve it as an appetizer or main course, these wings are sure to be a major hit.
For Chicken Wings
4 pounds chicken drumettes and wings
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoons black pepper
For Blueberry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
6 shallots sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon minced ginger
3 cups frozen blueberries
4 tablespoons maple syrup
4 tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon all spice
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1-2 Chipotle peppers from can
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 500°F with the oven rack set on the upper middle level. In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Coat each wing with flour mixture and place them on a lightly greased rimmed baking sheet. Spray wings with cooking spray; bake for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a pan over medium high heat. Add vegetable oil. When the pan is hot, fry the shallots until lightly browned; add garlic and ginger, frying until they turn light brown.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce (except the chipotle pepper, salt and black pepper); bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and simmer covered for 10-12 minutes. Set aside.
- Once mixture has cooled, pour into a blender along with the chipotle pepper. Blend until smooth.
- If sauce is too thick, add a touch of water; season with salt and black pepper.
- Remove wings from oven and toss with sauce. Serve immediately.