Idaho potatoes, farm-to-table, and incorporating wild game into menu offerings are some of the topics at the American Culinary Federation’s (ACF) Western Regional Conference, April 12-15, at The Coeur d’Alene Resort, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. Hosted by ACF Chefs de Cuisine of the Inland Northwest, the conference brings hundreds of chefs from around the region to compete, network, and learn.
The conference features chef and culinary experts from the Western Region discussing and teaching current foodservice trends and culinary techniques through educational seminars, workshops, and demonstrations. Keynote speaker Bernard Guillas, executive chef, La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club, La Jolla, Calif., and well-known proponent for the farm-to-table movement, will address attendees during general session April 14 at 8:30 a.m.
Chef and student competitions to determine regional titles for Chef of the Year, Pastry Chef of the Year, and Student Chef of the Year take place at North Idaho College, Coeur d’Alene April 13. The Student Team Regional Championship takes place at Inland Northwest Culinary Academy at Spokane Community College, Spokane, Wash., April 13-14.
Media is welcome to attend the conference and competitions. Award winners are announced at the awards gala, the evening of April 15. Below is a snapshot of the conference schedule or view a complete list of events at www.acfchefs.org/Western:
Saturday, April 13
- 8:30-9:30 a.m.: Attendees learn how Idaho’s rainbow trout is a trendsetting menu ingredient healthy for kids and adults with Clear Springs Trout, presented by Kirt Martin, Snake River Grill, and Alan Kahn, Clear Springs Foods.
- 9 a.m.-noon: Four chefs from the Western region compete for the regional title of Pastry Chef of the Year, sponsored by Plugrá European-Style Butter at North Idaho College.
- 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.: The competition for regional title of Chef of the Year, sponsored by Unilever Food Solutions, takes place at North Idaho College.
- 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.: Attendees view the latest products and tools during the Trade Show. Chefs compete live in Flavors of the Mediterranean—A Minute Rice Competition, sponsored by Riviana Foods, on the trade show floor at 12:30 p.m.
- 11:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m.: Two cooks compete for the regional title of Student Chef of the Year, sponsored by Custom Culinary, Inc, at North Idaho College.
- 2:30-3:30 p.m.: Attendees learn how to incorporate raw and wild foods into their menus in Raw, Naked and Wild.
- 2:30-6 p.m.: Six student teams from the Western region compete in the Baron H. Galand Culinary Knowledge Bowl, a “Jeopardy”-style competition, for a chance to compete in the national competition in Las Vegas, July 21-25.
- 4:15-5:15 p.m.: Alan Turner, executive chef, Snake River Farms, demonstrates how to get the most from your cut of meat in Butchery Skills for the 21st Century.
Sunday, April 14
- 8:30-11 a.m.: Keynote speaker Bernard Guillas, executive chef, La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club, Inc., La Jolla, Calif., and proponent for the farm-to-table movement, addresses conference attendees at General Session.
- 9 a.m.-5 p.m.: Hot-food portion of the ACF Student Team Regional Championship takes place at Inland Northwest Culinary Academy at Spokane Community College, Spokane, Wash.
- 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m.: World Flavors and Your Menu: Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Trinidad & Tobago, sponsored by Unilever Food Solutions, gives attendees a taste of Caribbean cuisine.
- 2:15-3:15 p.m.: Celebrity chef Barbie Marshall, 5 Star Chefs, will share her research and work with sustainable foods from the soil to the plate at The Farming Chef.
- 3:45-4:45 p.m.: Empowering Your Menu with Vegetable and Fruits teaches chefs how meatless menu options are a flavorful and profitable way to stay on trend.
- 6:30-7:30 p.m.: Attendees can sample pairings of artisan Wisconsin cheeses and craft beers at Great Tastes from the Midwest.
Monday, April 15
- 8:30-9:30 a.m.: Attendees learn how to make the French classic Paris-Brest in Dessert Classics with Casey Shiller, CEPC.
- 10:15-11:15 a.m.: Scott Green, 2011 National Pastry Champion, demonstrates how to include unexpected flavors in this classic cookie in Hazelnut and Yuzu Macaron.
- 12:45-1:45 p.m.: Learn how to turn leftover potatoes into loot with The Art of Idaho Potatoes, sponsored by the American Academy of Chefs.
- 2:30-3:30 p.m.: Learn how Jim Barrett, chef de cuisine at The Coeur d’Alene Resort, incorporates wild game and fish of the region into the resort’s menu in Wild about Game.
- 7-9 p.m.: Several award winners are announced at the Regional Awards Gala, sponsored by Lactalis Foodservice and Tyson Food Service.
Hundreds of chefs, foodservice professionals and students will attend this year’s culinary conference in Coeur d’Alene hosted by ACF Chefs de Cuisine of the Inland Northwest. There will be educational seminars, culinary demos, networking and social functions, culinary competitions, meal events and more.
National and regional sponsors of the 2013 ACF events series are: Alabama Gulf Seafood; Allen Brothers; American Lamb Board; American Roland Food Corporation; American Technical Publishers; Barry Callebaut; The Beef Checkoff; BelGioioso Cheese, Inc.; California Avocado Commission; Campbell Soup Company; Canada Cutlery Inc.; Central Region State Beef Councils; Clemens Food Group; Custom Culinary, Inc.; Ecolab; Gerharz Restaurant Equipment, Inc.; Gordon Food Service; Idaho Potato Commission; Idaho Preferred; Irinox USA; Jim Beam American Stillhouse; Jones Dairy Farm; Johnson & Wales University; JTM Food Group; Kentucky Beef Council; Lactalis Foodservice; Maines Paper & Food Service, Inc.; McCormick For Chefs; MINOR’S; Mississippi Beef Council; Mississippi Seafood Marketing; NEWCHEF Fashion Inc.; North Carolina Beef Council; Plugrá European-Style Butter; PreGel AMERICA; R.L. Schreiber, Inc.; RC Fine Foods; Riviana Foods; S&D Coffee; Sysco; Tennessee Beef Industry Council; Tyson Food Service; Unilever Food Solutions; Victorinox Swiss Army, Inc.; Villeroy & Boch; Virginia Beef Industry Council; Vitamix Corporation; Winston Industries, LLC;and Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.