In response to the growing natural and clean label trends, Steviva Ingredients has developed Nectevia, an organic blend of blue agave nectar and stevia extract.
Naturally water-extracted at low temperatures and mildly filtered, the organic agave nectar is blended with high-intensity steviol glycosides that boosts its sweetness, resulting in a full, pure flavor profile that is four-times sweeter than sugar. Nectevia is ideal as a substitute for sugar, honey or corn syrup and is designed to be used in a variety of applications, including:
- Baked goods
- Hot or cold beverages
- Sauces and dressings
- Cereals and bars, as a binding agent
With a water activity of 0.65 + 0.05 and an average pH of 4.5, Nectevia is stable, non-crystallizing and prevents fermentation. It also dissolves quickly into hot or cold liquids.
Nectevia has a high fructose content of 85 percent which is naturally derived from the core of the agave plant. Because fructose is inherent in fruit, Nectevia is particularly conducive to fruit applications.
The American Diabetes Association suggests that one way diabetics can plan meals is by using the glycemic index. Foods with a glycemic index lower than 55 are ranked low. Nectevia’s combination of fructose and stevia contribute to its low ranking (< 10) on the glycemic index scale, which is considerably lower than High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). (By comparison, HFCS-42 contains 53 percent sucrose on a dry basis, while sucrose, which contains 50 percent glucose and 50 percent fructose, has a glycemic index of 67, and fructose has a glycemic index of 23. Stevia comes in at 0, meaning it has no effect on blood sugar levels.)
Nectevia also offers calorie-reduction benefits, including:
- Unlike nutritive carbohydrates, which contribute four calories per gram, Nectevia contributes only 2.86 calories per gram.
- Because it is four times sweeter than sucrose, a lower percentage of Nectevia can be used in food and beverage formulas.
- Nectevia enhances foods’ natural sweetness, providing a synergy that in some applications may allow developers to reduce sweeteners by more than 75 percent.
- Comprised of agave nectar and stevia, Nectevia is non-GMO, kosher and naturally vegan.
News and information presented in this release has not been corroborated by FSR, Food News Media, or Journalistic, Inc.