The Carolina Kitchen opened its third Washington, D.C. location, its first in the area known as The District. The 6,000 square-foot restaurant serves authentic Southern comfort fare in the new community of Rhode Island Row, a mixed-use development located just steps from the Rhode Island Ave-Brentwood metro stop. Owned by chef Lance London, The Carolina Kitchen's additional sites are located in Largo and Hyattsville, both in Maryland.
"The Carolina Kitchen has something for every occasion,” says London. "The restaurant is located in the city, feels like the country, and tastes like the south. I’m thrilled to serve savory home-style cooking that everyone can appreciate.”
London’s menu, inspired by fresh ingredients found in his grandmother’s recipes, will include a variety of appetizers, homemade soups and salads, home-style meals, sandwiches, fried chicken, and a number of “Ma Pearl’s” specialty entrées. The restaurant also features a custom glass oyster bar, unique to the Rhode Island Row location.
First course selections on the opening menu include:
- Southern Fried Lobster Tail, hand-breaded, golden fried, and served with dipping sauce
- Crab Claws steamed and seasoned, and topped with warm butter
- Fried Green Tomatoes and Pan Fried Asparagus, hand-breaded with parmesan cheese and country fried, and served with spicy Creole dipping sauce
- Rustic Chicken Soup For The Soul with sautéed chicken, onions, peppers, tomatoes, cabbage, and potatoes
- Myrtle Beach Salad, featuring mixed field greens, dried cranberries, mandarin oranges, grapes, sliced almonds, and blue cheese crumbles, served with housemade Caribbean mango vinaigrette
- Five flavors of Rocky Mount Wings—Old Bay, Grilled Guinness BBQ, Grilled Jerk, Spicy Fried, and Spicy Thai Chili
Ma Pearl’s specialties include:
- Creole Grilled Salmon with a New Orleans-style cream sauce with lump crabmeat and shrimp, served with garlic mashed potatoes, macaroni & cheese, and collard greens
- Grilled Baby Back Pork Ribs basted with Carolina Kitchen’s award-winning BBQ sauce and served with baked beans, coleslaw, and Cajun fries
- Southern Fried Red Snapper served with collard greens and potato salad
- Smothered Chicken over rice covered in Grandma’s gravy with black-eyed peas and Southern style green beans
A variety of homestyle meals that embody wholesome Southern classics are also featured, and include Jerk Chicken with rice, Mom’s Meatloaf, Blackened Catfish, Shrimp and Grits, and Mama’s Stew Chicken with rice.
Dessert also spotlights Southern classics, such as Banana Pudding with fresh bananas topped with whipped cream and wafers, Granny’s Sweet Potato Pie, Red Velvet Cake, and a new addition—the Sweet Potato Milkshake.
London collaborated with Tom Mulhern of 2 Scales Interiors to design the contemporary-country themed space. The Carolina Kitchen combines traditional country-style wood paneling with swirling iron accents to create a modern-rustic interior design. Elegant, rich textures and earthy hues transform the space into a welcoming neighborhood spot. The 152-seat restaurant features a wall lined with vintage whiskey bottles guiding patrons up the stairs to the second floor mezzanine overlooking the space, which accommodates an additional 40 guests for private events.
Lunch, dinner, and carryout are offered.
News and information presented in this release has not been corroborated by WTWH Media LLC.