Chef Mark Garcia of Avocados From Mexico twists up an iconic American classic.
Pickled Avocado Grilled Cheese
- 2 each Country white bread, sliced
- 4 Tbsp. Butter, softened
- ¼ cup Orange marmalade
- 3 ounces Sharp cheddar, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Orange marmalade
- 3 each Avocados from Mexico, pickled ¼-inch slices
- Spread butter on one side of both slices of bread.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of marmalade on unbuttered side of bread slices.
- Build in half of the sliced cheddar, all of the pickled avocado rings, and the remaining sliced cheddar.
- In a sauté pan, over medium heat, toast bread on both sides.
- 5. Finish in 350°F oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Chef’s notes: Serve with tomato bisque for dipping.
Sweet Pickled Avocado
Makes two cups.
- ½ cup White balsamic vinegar
- ⅔ cup Water
- 1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- 1½ tsp. Red pepper, crushed
- 1 tsp. Garlic, diced
- 8 ounces Avocados from Mexico, ¼” slices
- Combine vinegar, water, salt, honey, red pepper, and garlic in a medium saucepot.
- Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Place avocado in a plastic container and pour over pickling solution.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours before serving. Pour sauce into a heatproof bowl; let cool completely in an ice bath.
- Strain through a wide sieve; use immediately or refrigerate.