The refreshing qualities of the mojito paired with cold ice cream make for a great way to bring life to your beverage menu.
3 cups Berkeley Farms heavy cream
8 1/3 cups Berkeley Farms whole milk
1 cup egg yolks (about 16)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup light rum
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
12 large mint leaves
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Mint sprigs for garnish
1. In large saucepan, simmer cream, 2 1/3 cups of the milk and half of the lime zest until reduced to about 4 cups. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale; gradually whisk in hot cream mixture.
2. Pour back into saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats the back of a spoon.
3. Add salt; cool over an ice bath. In blender, purée remaining lime zest, rum, lime juice, mint and vanilla; add to cooled cream mixture.
4. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Store in freezer.
5. For each serving, to order, blend a 2-ounce scoop ice cream with 1/4 cup milk; pour into a shot glass. Garnish with a small sprig of mint.
Yields 24 servings