- Chefs: James Beard award winners were announced. Outstanding Restaurant went to The Slanted Door in San Francisco, while Nancy Silverton of Pizzeria Mozza in Los Angeles won Outstanding Chef.
- Meals: Chefs spent the week preparing for Mother's Day, one of the biggest dining days of the year, while restaurants experiment with build-your-own beverage bars during brunch hours.
- Finance: Chuy's revenues increased 20 percent during its first quarter. An expert spoke with FSR about top tips to control food costs.
- Chain news: Bob Evans' CFO and treasurer tendered his resignation, and Applebee's introduced its seasonal menu, built around Vidalia onions. A TGI Fridays in Brooklyn that was forced to close during Hurricane Sandy in 2012 reopened.
- Policy: Healthcare, immigration reform, and minimum wage hikes were among the top issues restaurateurs discussed with members of Congress during the NRA’s Public Affairs Conference in Washington, D.C.
The Slanted Door