Strawberry and cream cheese danishes may be traditional, but this recipe updates a common pastry into something fun and exciting for guests.
1 package Wewalka Danish Pastry Dough
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice
Egg wash (1 egg with 2 tbsp water, beaten)
Ingredients for Icing
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Mix together cream cheese with sugar, egg yolk, vanilla, and lemon juice.
3. Unroll refrigerated Danish Pastry Dough and cut into 6 squares. Slice the corners of each square diagonally 2 to 3 in. toward the center leaving a center portion uncut.
4. Spoon 1 1/2 tbsp of cream cheese mixture onto the center of each square and spread over the center of the square. Top with 1 tbsp of strawberry preserves.
5. Take one of the corner triangle pieces and bring it over the center of the square, creating one star-like edge. Do the same with every other triangle so that end shape resembles a pinwheel star. Lightly press the center together and brush with egg wash.
6. Bake in oven for 13 to 15 minutes. Remove to cool.
7. Mix icing using 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar with 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 tbsp milk. Drizzle over Danish Stars. Serve.