Shaun Gillespie, the beverage director of The Candy Apple Café & Cocktails in Jacksonville, Florida, shares his recipe for a classic Mule turned up a notch.
2 oz. Ketel One vodka
1 oz. blackberry, basil, and candy ginger purée (recipe below)
1/2 oz. lime juice
Fever Tree Ginger Beer, to taste
- Mix vodka, blackberry purée, and lime juice in a shaker.
- Pour mixture into a copper mug with crushed ice.
- Top with Fever Tree Ginger Beer.
- Garnish with a fresh blackberry and a basil leaf.
Blackberry, basil, and candy ginger purée
2 packs of blackberries
6-8 basil leaves (depending on size)
6-8 pieces of candied ginger (depending on size)
1 quart container of simple syrup (1 part sugar to 1 part hot water)
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend well.
- Fine strain into a plastic container, being sure to remove seeds.
Prepared purée can be kept up to one week in a refrigerated container.