What's it like going on a dinner date these days? There are no easy answers.

Going on a Dinner Date Isn’t What it Used to Be

No matter what changes, food will always play a role in the conversation.

Chivalry is dead. If there’s a more ridiculous statement out there please let me know. Being, in my case, a very old millennial doesn’t mean letting the door slam on your date. It’s not honking the car horn instead of opening the door. This is just a different era. You can still put your coat down over the puddle. But will anybody actually walk over it?

I will preface this by saying that I’ve been married for quite a while and probably would be lost in today’s dating arena, especially online. But, with that said, it’s probably safe to assume that dining out after connecting digitally is nothing like what it used to be.

Grubhub, a leading takeout marketplace, and Tinder, a popular dating app, teamed up to uncover the dining preferences of today’s singles—and put some of those antiquated stereotypes to rest.

Here’s what the poll, which surveyed more than 2,000 people across the U.S., found.

Today's singles embrace their hearty appetites.

Which dish do you prefer on a first date?

Sixty-two percent of respondents prefer a heartier dish, whereas 38 percent prefer a lighter meal.

I’m not sure what this says about the past but this sounds like progress to me.

You don't have to offer to pick up the bill to make the step to a second date.

Would not offering to pay be a deal-breaker?

Only 36 percent of respondents would rule out a second date if the other person didn't offer to pay and 64 percent said it would not be an issue.

This is new-age, even for me. When I was in college and broke, I always found a way to cough up the cash. Maybe that’s why I usually went to Pita Pit, or just didn’t go on a lot of dates.

Grubhub and chill make for the ideal third date.

It's your third date. What do you do?

Sixty percent of respondents prefer to order in for a casual night in, whereas the remaining 40 percent prefer to dine out.

One word for my generation: Blockbuster.

What's mine is yours.

Your date keeps stealing food off your plate. What do you do?

“Scowl,” according to 31 percent of respondents in comparison to 69 percent of respondents who answered “share.”

My best friend growing up used to do this to me when we were eating chicken nuggets. This is why I eat at 300 mph.

Unless you can use chopsticks, don't bother with sushi.

Your date uses a fork for sushi. What do you think?

56 percent of respondents thought, “it's cringe-worthy!” and the remaining 44 percent thought 'it's adorable' to forgo the chopsticks.

Who would get sushi if they eat it with a fork? That’s something my mother-in-law did recently. Why? Because she had never eaten sushi before.

In Tinder-worthy fashion, the study was done by allowing participants to swipe left and right. “Partnering with Tinder allowed us to tap into the food-related dating preferences and practices of today's singles," says Barbara Martin Coppola, chief marketing officer of Grubhub, in a release. "We're thrilled to be part of the new dating experience and it is heartwarming to see that Grubhub can play a role in the love story of couples nationwide, as people get to know a new partner over their favorite local cuisine, from the comfort of home.”

"Most first dates involve food, so partnering with Grubhub to learn more about how eating preferences affect compatibility was a perfect fit for us," says Rosette Pambakian, vice president, global communications and brand of Tinder, in a release. "The findings are interesting and highlight the important role food plays in dating."

No matter how things change over time, that fact will remain the same. 

read more