Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington (RAMW) announced winners of The RAMMY Awards during a virtual program viewed live by a first-ever public audience. Broadcasted live from the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, the two-hour streaming experience celebrated the region’s resilient hospitality community and honored winners in 20 award categories with other special distinctions.
For over 30 years, The RAMMY Awards have honored the exceptional ability and accomplishments of the hard-working individuals and organizations of the metropolitan Washington region’s restaurant and foodservice community. While the program honored finalists based on the 2019 year of dining, RAMW recognized that 2020 has posed unique challenges that the industry continues to navigate. The RAMMYS represent some of the best of the region’s restaurant community that continues to be one of the area’s most irrepressible industries.
The selection process for the winners involved two esteemed groups, the voting public, which decided the winners in four categories: Favorite Gathering Place, Upscale Brunch, Casual Brunch and Favorite Fast Bites; and an anonymous panel of volunteer judges, consisting of food and dining journalists, educators, and foodservice industry professionals.
RAMW honored additional members with the Joan Hisaoka Allied Member of the Year award, given to Coastal Sunbelt Produce for exemplifying commitment to and support of RAMW, and the Duke Zeibert Capital Achievement Award, presented to restaurateur Randy Norton of Great American Restaurants for his hard work and outstanding initiative over 45 years in business that has increased the profile and success of the region’s foodservice community. These awards were determined by RAMW’s Executive Committee.
The 2020 Honorary Milestone RAMMY Award was given to ROCKLANDS Barbeque and Grilling Co. (30 years), Vace Italian Delicatessen (40 years), and Mrs. K’s Toll House (90 years), dining staples celebrating decades serving locals and visitors throughout metropolitan Washington.
Remaining winners of the 38th Annual RAMMY Awards are:
- Upscale Brunch of the Year: Trummer's
- Casual Brunch of the Year: All-Purpose - Shaw
- Favorite Gathering Place of the Year: The Salt Line
- Favorite Fast Bites of the Year: Shouk
- Service Program of the Year: St. Anselm
- Beer Program of the Year: Roofers Union
- Cocktail Program of the Year: Royal
- Wine Program of the Year: Field & Main
- Casual Restaurant of the Year: CHIKO - Capitol Hill
- Employee of the Year: Yasmin Orozco, Taco Bamba Taqueria – Springfield
- Manager of the Year: Jamal Flowers, Rocklands Barbeque and Grilling Co. – Alexandria
- Regional Food and Beverage Producer of the Year: Atlas Brew Works
- Formal Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year: Three Blacksmiths
- New Restaurant of the Year: Cane
- Upscale Casual Restaurant of the Year: Poca Madre
- Pastry Chef of the Year: Paola Velez, Kith/Kin [now Maydan and Compass Rose]
- Rising Culinary Star of the Year: Angel Barreto, Anju
- Restaurateur of the Year: Yama Jewayni, Katsuya Fukushima, Daisuke Utagawa, Daikaya Group
- Chef of the Year: David Deshaies, Unconventional Diner
News and information presented in this release has not been corroborated by WTWH Media LLC.