Apple-Metro, Inc., the New York Metro-area Applebee’s franchisee, opened its second LEED-certified Applebee’s at the Gateway Shopping Center in East New York, Brooklyn, last week.
The restaurant has more than 40 environmentally friendly upgrades, which include a roof-mounted solar array that returns power to the grid, rainwater and daylight harvesting, waterless urinals, and reclaimed wood (expanded list below).
In the building’s lobby, a Green Education Touch Screen educates guests about the restaurant’s eco-friendly features and the benefits of living in a green environment.
The franchise group’s first LEED restaurant, and the first Applebee’s LEED-certified restaurant in the system, opened in East Harlem in 2012.
Expanded List of LEED Gold Certified Elements:
- Rainwater harvesting
- White reflective rubber roof (partial)
- Energy reduction
- Daylight harvesting and sensor system that automatically controls lighting levels
- Automatic window shades
- Green Education Touch Screen
- Waterless urinals
- Tankless hot water heaters
- LED light fixtures
- Dimmer controls
- Occupancy sensors
- ENERGY STAR TVs
- Air curtains
- LED exterior signs
- Recycled foam in walk-in cooler walls
- Recycled PVC kitchen floor and recycled dining room carpet
- High R walls/Roofs – Metl Span
- EcoPower flushometers
- High-efficiency toilets
- Daikin energy-efficient condensing and air handling units with heat recovery
- Air purification unit
- ENERGY STAR equipment
- Steel, rebar, drywall, ceiling tiles, wallpaper and flooring with high recycled content
- Rapidly renewable resources
- Sourcing materials locally
- Recycle construction debris
- Outdoor air delivery monitoring – carbon dioxide sensors
- Stormwater design – quality control
- Heat island effect – roof
- Storage and collection of recyclables
- Dishwasher pulper and extractor unit
- Heat loss recovery
- Variable frequency drive kitchen hood and HVAC controls
News and information presented in this release has not been corroborated by FSR, Food News Media, or Journalistic, Inc.