The Golden Gate Restaurant Association announced the final winners for its first annual awards gala, The Saucy Awards took place on November 14. With 16 industry-driven award categories in addition to the GGRA’s own Lifetime Achievement Award and a People’s Choice Award for Restaurant of the Year, presented by San Francisco magazine, The Saucy Awards recognized the San Francisco Bay Area restaurant and bar community for its excellence.
Nominees of the industry-driven categories were selected by The Saucy Awards steering committee, consisting of six industry veterans and luminaries, including Joyce Goldstein, Patricia Unterman, Joel Riddell, Virginia Miller, Leslie Sbracco, and Marcy Coburn. A winner in each category was then voted on by GGRA members, while the public chose the People’s Choice Award recipient. The 18th award category for Lifetime Achievement Award was chosen directly by the GGRA board members.
“We are thrilled to bring recognition to the wealth of talent and passion in our Bay Area industry community,” says GGRA Executive Director Gwyneth Borden.
Complete List of Winners
1. Chef of the Year presented by OpenTable: Ravi Kapur—Liholiho Yacht Club
2. Pastry Chef of the Year presented by Williams-Sonoma for Professional Chefs: Belinda Leong—b.patisserie
3. Rising Star Chef of the Year presented by Estate Events by Meadowood: Melissa Reitz—Bar Agricole
1. Restaurateur of the Year presented by OpenTable: Nicole Krasinski & Stuart Brioza—State Bird & The Progress
2. Beverage Professional of the Year: Lulu McAllister Churchill—NOPA & Liholiho Yacht Club
3. Employee of the Year presented by Airbnb: Kory Cogdill—Tacolicious
4. Manager of the Year: Justine Flynn—Souvla
5. Outstanding Industry Service: Monterey Fish Market
1. Exceptional Full Service Restaurant of the Year presented by BiRite Foodservice Distributors: NOPA
2. Exceptional Fast Casual Restaurant of the Year presented by Georgopoulos & Economidis, LLP: Souvla
3. Exceptional Non Brick & Mortar Restaurant of the Year: RoliRoti
1. Wine Program of the Year presented by Robert Mondavi Winery, Napa Valley: A16 & SPQR—Shelley Lindgren
2. Cocktail Program of the Year presented by Campari America: Bar Agricole
3. Beer Program of the Year: Monk’s Kettle
4. Sustainable Restaurant or Bar of the Year presented by Recology: The Perennial—Anthony Myint & Karen Leibowitz
5. Community Spirit of the Year presented by Comcast Business: Tacolicious—Sara Deseran & Joe Hargrave
GGRA’s Lifetime Achievement Award: Pete Sittnick
People’s Choice Award for Restaurant of the Year presented by San Francisco magazine: Copita Tequileria y Comida
The event took place at the iconic Herbst Theater in San Francisco with Liam Mayclem the KCBS Foodie Chap emceeing the award ceremony. The post-ceremony reception was catered by Estate Events by Meadowood with cocktails by Campari America and wine by Robert Mondavi Winery, Napa Valley, as well as an invite-only after party at Mr. Tipple’s Recording Studio.
The Saucy Awards benefited the GGRA’s Scholarship & Education Foundation (GGRASF), as a part of its initiative to advance and support the hospitality industry in the Bay Area. Celebrating its 80th anniversary in 2016, the GGRA serves to celebrate and empower the restaurant community through advocacy, education, marketing, events, and training.
News and information presented in this release has not been corroborated by FSR, Food News Media, or Journalistic, Inc.