- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- ½ package (7 ounce) House Foods Premium or Organic Tofu Firm
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Juice and zest of one blood orange (or orange)
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 ½ tablespoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon butter for greasing pan
With all the entertaining during the holiday season, creating a seasonal dish to impress guests will keep everyone’s spirits merry and bright. Look no further than House Foods for a collection of special holiday recipes that look and taste spectacular. House Foods Tofu, the premium tofu purveyor and specialist since 1983, has partnered with celebrity chefs Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos to create healthy and beautiful dishes to draw everyone to the table.
With their Italian background, stars of the Cooking Channel show Extra Virgin, Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos know how to entertain with style and flavor. By incorporating House Foods Tofu into their Tuscan style dishes, the recipes have the benefit of soy along with a decadent texture. Their latest recipe is a Florentine orange zest cake, the Schiacciata alla Fiorentina. Made with a seasonal blood orange, this Italian style cake is fluffy and eye-catching!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixer, blend together tofu, water, oil, and the citrus juice. Pour the mix into a large bowl.
- In a different bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Mix all ingredients together evenly.
- Slowly pour the dry mix into the liquid mix, whipping constantly to avoid the formation of lumps. Once all ingredients are mixed, the batter should have a moderately thick consistency.
- Grease a 9-inch x 11-inch rectangular pan. Using a rubber spatula, spread the dough evenly in the pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes then let cool at least 30 minutes before removing from pan.
- Garnish with sifted powdered sugar and serve sliced in rectangles, like a traditional Schiacciata.