- Bleu Butter
- 1 pound Wüthrich 83 percent European Style Butter, room temperature
- ½ cup mild bleu cheese (such as Amish bleu or gorgonzola), crumbled
- Butter-Curried Brandy Carrots
- 1½ pounds carrots, peeled
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup cultured butter (such as Wüthrich 83 percent European Style Butter)
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Steak and Port Reduction
- 1 bottle port
- 2 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil
- 4 (6–8 ounce) rib eye or top loin steaks, cut ¾- to 1-inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (or seasoning salt)
- 12 tablespoons bleu butter
“I like to use Wüthrich’s 83 percent European Style Butter because it has a higher smoking point and won’t burn as easily. Also, the lower water, higher fat content allows for easier blending and freezing with other ingredients like bleu cheese and herbs. The compound bleu butter below can be kept for a few weeks when refrigerated or for months if frozen, and pairs well with steaks and burgers.” Chef Tyler Sailsbery, The Black Sheep Restaurant, Whitewater, Wisconsin
Yield: 4 servings
- In a medium bowl, add butter and cheese.
- Stir until combined.
- Refrigerate until needed.
Butter-Curried Brandy Carrots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, add carrots, olive oil, and pinch of salt; toss.
- Spread carrots evenly on a baking sheet; bake for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat, add butter and carrots; cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until carrots start to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add curry, brandy, brown sugar, and cinnamon; stir until coated.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Steak and Port Reduction
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat port over medium heat in a large sauce pan; reduce by half, or until liquid coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, heat oil in a large, cast iron or comparably heavy frying pan.
- Season both sides of steak with salt and pepper. Add steaks to pan; cook for 4 minutes, or until browned.
- Flip; continue to cook 3-4 minutes.
- Top each steak with 3 tablespoons of bleu butter; transfer pan to oven.
- Cook until steaks reach desired doneness.
- Remove from oven; transfer steaks to plates.
- Drizzle port reduction over steaks; serve immediately with Butter-Curried Brandy Carrots.