The historical bar has been around since 1915.
The best bar in the world, Dante, can be found in New York City’s Greenwich Village. Dante took the top spot at the World’s 50 Best Bars Awards 2019, which were announced October 3 at a ceremony in London.
The coveted list showcases a diverse range of bars from 26 cities across 21 countries.
“The aim of The World’s 50 Best Bars is to provide the authoritative guide on the best bar destinations from around the world and the huge range of countries featured is testament to the strength of competition for a place at the top,” William Drew, director of content for The World’s 50 Best Bars, said in a statement.
Jumping eight spots from the previous year, Dante beat Connaught Bar (No. 2 and named The Best Bar in Europe) for the top spot. Dante also took home the title of Best Bar in North America. The historical bar opened as Caffé Dante in 1915. It’s known for its Negronis and inviting atmosphere.
Dante wasn’t the only American bar to make the list. Six others made the cut, including The NoMad (No. 4), Attaboy (No. 7), Katana Kitten (No. 14 and winner of the Best New Opening Award), The Dead Rabbit (No. 22), Employees Only (No. 26), and Trick Dog San Francisco (No. 42).
“Huge congratulations to all bars that have been included on this year’s list,” Drew said in a statement. “We’re ecstatic that so many key figures from the cocktail world have travelled across the globe to attend the awards and join the celebrations. This list is a reflection of the open and diverse nature of the international bar scene today.”
The list features 10 bars in the U.K. including Connaught Bar, The Savoy’s American Bar (No. 5), and Three Sheets (No. 16). American Bar was also awarded with the Legend of the List accolade, a title awarded to “a bar that has performed most consistently in the history of the ranking,” the organization said in a statement. London’s Artesian re-entered the 1-50 list at No. 48. London’s Lyaness (No.39) and Kwānt (No. 47) made their debuts on the list.
Monica Berg, co-owner of London’s Tayēr + Elementary (No. 52), received the title of Altos Bartenders’ Bartender 2019. Berg earned the award for “her influence as a positive and passionate voice for change, education and increased professionalism in the drinks sector,” the organization said in a statement.
READ MORE: Here's a Look at Last Year's Winners
Spain also had a noticeable presence on the list with three bars featured in the top 50. Madrid’s Salmón Gurú (No.19) was the winner of the Highest Climber Award for leaping 28 places in ranking from last year. Dr. Stravinsky made its debut at No. 25. Barcelona’s Paradiso came in at No. 20 on the list.
For the second year in a row, Singapore led the rankings of Asian bars with six bars in the top 50. Atlas, No. 8 on the list, was named The Best Bar in Asia. Atlas is joined by Manhattan (No.11) and Operation Dagger (No. 30). Jigger & Pony (No. 29) and The Old Man (No. 38) were new entries this year.
Singapore’s Native, No.12 on the list, was also awarded the Ketel One Sustainable Bar Award. It earned this award “ thanks to the bar’s use of permaculture practices and the holistic way it approaches every element of its service,” the organization said.
Native sources a majority of its ingredients from its rooftop garden. It also operates using “fair hiring practices to ensure equal representation without discrimination,” the organization said.
Latin America’s presence on the list grew to six bars on the list in 2019. Argentina’s Florería Atlántico (No. 3) was named The Best Bar in South America and rose 11 places from last year’s ranking. Mexico City’s Licorería Limantour came in at No.10 and Lima’s Carnaval made its debut on the list at No.13. Carnaval received the Highest New Entry Award. São Paulo’ Guilhotina was also a new entry making its debut at No.15.
Beirut’s Electric Bing Sutt (No. 46) was awarded The Best Bar in the Middle East & Africa. While Sydney’s Maybe Sammy (No.43) was named The Best Bar in Australasia.
Here is a complete list of the top 50 bars in the world:
1. Dante in New York City, USA
2. Connaught Bar in London, UK
3. Florería Atlántico in Buenos Aires, Argentina
4. The NoMad in New York, USA
5. American Bar in London, UK
6. The Clumsies in Athens, Greece
7. Attaboy in New York, USA
8. Atlas in Singapore, Singapore
9. The Old Man in Hong Kong, China
10. Licorería Limantour in Mexico City, Mexico
11. Manhattan in Singapore, Singapore
12. Native in Singapore, Singapore
13. Carnaval in Lima, Peru
14. Katana Kitten in New York, USA
15. Guilhotina in São Paulo, Brazil
16. Three Sheets in London, UK
17. Himkok in Oslo, Norway
18. High Five in Tokyo, Japan
19. Salmón Gurú in Madrid, Spain
20. Paradiso in Barcelona, Spain
21. Indulge Experimental Bistro in Taipei, Taiwan
22. The Dead Rabbit in New York, USA
23. Coupette in London, UK
24. The SG Club in Tokyo, Japan
25. Dr. Stravinsky in Barcelona, Spain
26. Employees Only in New York, USA
27. El Copitas in St Petersburg, Russia
28. Scout in London, UK
29. Jigger & Pony in Singapore, Singapore
30. Operation Dagger in Singapore, Singapore
31. Baba Au Rum in Athens, Greece
32. La Factoría in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico
33. Presidente in Buenos Aires, Argentina
34. Schumann's in Munich, Germany
35. Speak Low in Shanghai, China
36. Little Red Door in Paris, France
37. Linje Tio in Stockholm, Sweden
38. The Old Man in Singapore, Singapore
39. Lyaness in London, UK
40. Happiness Forgets in London, UK
41. Swift in London, UK
42. Trick Dog in San Francisco, USA
43. Maybe Sammy in Sydney, Australia
44. 1930 in Milan, Italy
45. Sober Company in Shanghai, China
46. Electric Bing Sutt in Beirut, Lebanon
47. Kwānt in London, UK
48. Artesian in London, UK
49. Coa in Hong Kong, China
50. Jerry Thomas Speakeasy in Rome, Italy