Fifteen top chefs vied for titles at the fourth annual San Francisco Lamb Jam, July 21, sponsored by the American Lamb Board. Chef Vernon Morales of Salt House was awarded “Best in Show” for his Vadouvan-spiced Lamb Riblets with Tamarind Chutney.
This was the second year Chef Morales has received top honors at the San Francisco Lamb Jam. He will travel New York to battle top lamb jam chefs from Boston, Washington, and Portland in September 2013.
The event drew more than 500 hungry fans to The Golden Gate Club to experience the rich flavors and versatility of American lamb.
A panel of judges compared 15 dishes from five categories and the following were determined to be the winning dishes:
- Best in Show/Best in Breast: Chef Vernon Morales’s vadouvan-spiced lamb riblets, tamarind BBQ sauce, white peace chutney, lemon cucumber and radish raita of Salt House
- Best in Leg: Chef Matt Greco’s lamb sausage with vadouvan pickle slaw and onion roll of The Restaurant at Wente Vineyards
- Best in Shank: Chef Mike Ransom’s braised shank and corn cake, cucumber raita, lemon balm-herb salad of Jasper’s Corner Tap & Kitchen
- Best in Shoulder: Chef Laurance Gordon’s lamb duo, bread salad with stone fruits and sherry of Thirsty Bear
- People’s Choice: Chef Sophie Uong’s smoked braciole of lamb breast and collard green-pecan farce-summer corn puree, Early Girl tomato jam, creole-spiced popped sorghum of Pican Restaurant
News and information presented in this release has not been corroborated by FSR, Food News Media, or Journalistic, Inc.